A Brief History of Candelaria Quezon

Before, some barangays of Candelaria used tp be under the jurisdiction of Sariaya and Tiaong. Western part notably, Taguan, Kinatihan and Masin were parts of the Municipality of Tiaong, while Malabanban, Mangilag and Sta. Catalina in the East, were parts of Sariaya.

The permit was granted by the Governor General of the Philippine Islands for the establishment of an independent government over these barangays on on December 26, 1878 . Its boundaries were fixed by means of a treaty signed by the notable leaders of Tiaong, Sariaya and the founding families of Candelaria.

The King of Spain, His Majesty Alfonso XII, finally approved the establishment of Candelaria as an independent town on August 5, 1879. In 1902, after the cessation of the general hostilities against the Americans, Candelaria was obligated to seek the folds of her bigger sister, the town of Sariaya. But the pioneering spirit of its founders was not extinguished in the battlefield of those wars, so that in 1908, after almost seven years of dependent existence, Candelaria was again able to stand on its own feet. It was then a fourth class municipality. During the American Regime, the town has progressed by leaps and bounds. Many houses and public edifices were constructed, commerce and industries grew and everybody was contented, until the Japanese invasion turned everything into ashes again.

June 6, 1946 is the liberation day of Candelaria against the Japanese Imperial Army by the Americans, a time to start anew.

Today, the municipality of Candelaria is acknowledged as the industrial center in the second district of Quezon, next only to Lucena City, and is now a first class municipality. Among the municipalities in the whole province, it has the most number of desiccated factories and oil mills employing thousands of people.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Speak Your Mind

*